Save up to 75% off the Rental or Purchase of Musical Instruments

What is MAA?

Minnesota Afterschool Advance (MAA) typically helps eligible families receive a significant discount on afterschool and summer activities by utilizing the K-12 Education Tax Credit. However, the same tax credit can be used for the rental or purchase of musical instruments used for school band or orchestra classes!

MAA makes a no-interest advance to you for the amount of the tax credit, and then state dollars automatically repay the advance when you file your taxes at the end of the year.

How does it work?

  1. Apply to MAA

    The first step is to apply to MAA, so we can determine your eligibility. Please apply using our special application for instrument rental or purchase.

  2. Lease the Instrument

    Once accepted to MAA, you can enter into a lease agreement with a music instrument provider, like Popplers Music. It’s important to understand that the lease is between you and the instrument provider. You are responsible for complying with all the lease terms.

  3. Make Monthly Payments

    Make your reduced monthly lease payments (typically 25% of the regular price) through the MAA website. MAA will advance you the remaining amount on a no-interest basis and send the full payment to the instrument provider. The maximum amount MAA can advance you per calendar year is $1,000 per student.

  4. File Taxes at the End of the Year

    MAA gets repaid when you file your state income tax return at the end of the year. The Department of Revenue will directly repay the amount MAA advances to you from the tax credit dollars. To help with tax filing, MAA will provide instructions and also let you know about available free tax preparation services.

    If you would like to purchase an instrument rather than rent one, please contact MAA for instructions.

Is my student eligible?

Students are generally eligible if:

  • They are in grades K-12.

  • Their family’s household income is $33,500 or less in both 2018 and 2019.

  • Their family will file a Minnesota tax return.

Families may also want to consult the more extensive list of eligibility requirements.

Who do I contact for help applying?

If you need assistance with the application or have questions, please contact KOOTASCA Community Action by calling

Can you explain more about MAA?

Sure! Here’s a helpful graphic that outlines how payments for renting instruments through MAA work. We also encourage you to check out the links on the menu at the top of this page.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if my student decides he or she no longer wants to play the instrument?

If your student decides he or she no longer wants to play the instrument, you must follow the rules set forth in your lease with the instrument provider about returning the instrument.

What if I stop making lease payments?

You are responsible for complying with all the terms and conditions of your lease agreement with the instrument provider. If you fail to make the required payments, the instrument provider may pursue any of the remedies provided for in the lease upon default.

What happens if I’m no longer eligible for MAA?

If you are determined to be ineligible for MAA during the course of the lease agreement, including because of changed economic circumstances, from that point forward you will be responsible for 100% of the monthly lease payments under the lease agreement.

Will MAA cover the cost of damage to the instrument?

No, you are fully responsible for the cost of any damage repairs. MAA can only cover monthly lease payments.

Once my student is accepted to MAA, for how long is he or she eligible for MAA?

Eligibility for MAA is determined on a calendar-year basis. For example, if you apply for a student and the student is accepted in 2019, you will have to re-apply in January 2020.

What if the cost of the instrument rental or purchase is more than $1,333?

MAA can advance you up to $1,000 (75% of $1,333) per calendar year. You will be fully responsible for any expenses over that amount.

Can the instrument be used for afterschool or summer music lessons?

To be eligible for MAA, the instrument you rent or purchase must be used by the student for band or orchestra class as part of the regular school day. If the student participates in afterschool or summer lessons in addition to school band or orchestra class, the student can use the instrument for those lessons as well. However, the instrument cannot be used solely for afterschool or summer music lessons.

If my student is accepted to MAA for instrument rental or purchase, can I also enroll my student in afterschool activities through MAA?

Yes, but keep in mind that the maximum amount MAA can advance you for each student per calendar year is $1,000. You can decide how you wish to divide that amount between instrument rental/purchase and afterschool programs.